Thursday, May 24, 2007

The Birds and the Beets

We were so poor as children that we often had very little to eat. One day my mother sent me to the basement pantry to find what I could for dinner. After a long search, I came back with some beets. This was not enough to feed our family of 6, so my mother sent me to the attic to kill the family of seagulls who had moved in there. My mother cooked the gulls and we waited for my father to get home from work.

As it got later, my mother put the cooked birds in the refrigerator to keep until my father came home, as we always ate as a family. When my father arrived later that evening, we sat down to eat the skimpy dinner, but first my father prayed over the food, "God bless the beets and the chilled wren."


Pun Liner of the Day

To vacillate or not to vacillate, that is the question...or is it?


One Liner of the Day

Maybe it's true that life begins at fifty, but everything else starts to wear out, fall out, or spread out.


Thought for the Day

We could certainly slow the aging process down if it had to work its way through Congress.


Murphy's Laws

If there is a possibility of several things going wrong, the one that will cause the most damage will be the one to go wrong.

No comments: